Take this MACRO view drawing series for example.
Rules for the project:
- Investigate an ordinary everyday object from a series of sides, angles and distances.
- Using a 12x18, make 6 equal squares. Consider different options for establishing a grid.
- Designate no more than 5% of the entire piece with white. (reserve the white for the brightest, brightest, brightest highlights.)
- Push your darkest-darks so your object and lights pop out.
- Vary line weight. (Don't flatten your piece by enclosing the object in a heavy outline).
- Consider the balance of the piece as a whole.